We’ve been working hard to finish the films about Greece. The DVD will be out by early June. You can pre-order now!
If you like what we’re doing, become a Reel News Supporter to help keep things going! If you donate £3 or more each month, you will get the bi-monthly DVD delivered right to you doorstep!
This special issue on Greek austerity and people’s resistance will include the following films:
- CRISIS We try to explain the Greek crisis, how it relates to the rest of Europe and who is actually being bailed out. Features clips from the documentary Debtocracy, and an interview with the film maker, as well as the financial editor of one of Greeks biggest newspapers, which has been on strike for months.
- That’s Our Power – Rank and File Organising Strikes, workplace occupations, food banks, workers in Greece haven’t been paid for months, and are facing huge pay cuts. Some have gotten pay cheques of less than 10 €. We spoke to doctors, steel workers and journalists on strike and on the streets.
- Solidarity – Not Charity: Community Organising in the Face of Austerity From the teargas clouds of Syntagma Square emerged a new approach to the crisis. Community kitchens, clothing exchanges and other acts of practical solidarity. It’s not charity, it’s practical solidarity. “We’re not giving to the poor, we are the poor. Any one of us could be homeless next.” First Cut Preview: Community Organising.
- Our Present is Your Future: How to destroy public health services. Out of 131 hospitals, as many as 50 will be closed. Patients already have to pay at the door when going to see a doctor. Procedures will have to be paid up front, and if you don’t have the money you will be sent home. “People will die.” “The cruelty is unbelieveable.” “This is a nightmare.” Video previews: Health Workers Strike, Making Patients Pay, Our Present is Your Future.
- It’s still like being in a war zone – Immigrants in Greece Refugees trying to reach safety in Europe get stuck in Greece: Once in Europe, they have to remain in the country they first arrived in. They speak about lack of basic support like housing, clothing and food and daily racist abuse. Not only by fascists like Golden Dawn, but also Greek people – and the police. Video preview: Immigrant Workers Protest.
- It’s not me anymore it’s us now – The Street Fighters from AlAnyA The Solidarity, Disobedience and Resistance movement take a practical approach to the problems people are facing. They close down motorway tolls, block ticket machines for public transport and reconnect electricity where it has been cut as punishment for not paying taxes. Video preview: Tax Offices, Closing Toll Collections.
- Potato Movement While farmers don’t get a whole lot for their potatoes, in the shops they are rather expensive. In response, sales have plummeted. When farmers couldn’t sell their produce, and decided to give it away rather than have it go to waste, it was the start of the potato movement: Farmers and consumers are in direct contact on the internet and bypass traditional allocation structures, increasing the profit for farmers and lowering the prices for consumers. Video preview: Potato Movement.